The Universities of Sanctuary Steering Group is made up of academics, university staff, scholars and those with lived experience of the asylum system and higher education. The aim of the group is to support the development of a network which nurtures and promotes a culture, and a practice, of welcome for people seeking sanctuary within their universities, and in the wider community.
- Setting and maintaining the criteria required to be met for being accredited as a University of Sanctuary
- Engagement and awareness with all universities to increase the number of members
- The development of networks (including universities of sanctuary) and resources to enable the sharing of good practice
- Representing universities of sanctuary in national and international debate with a clear and unified voice
- Enabling and supporting sanctuary seekers, and particularly sanctuary scholars, to lead at all level of the work of the stream
- To coordinate with relevant networks internationally
- To act as a coordinated lobbying and advocacy platform on relevant issues including towards regulatory bodies and stakeholders such as UCAS and UUK.
Steering group members: