Why become a University of Sanctuary?
Becoming a University of Sanctuary contributes to the delivery of institutional strategies relating to equality, diversity, inclusivity, social responsibility, and sustainability. It also enriches campus life and academic discussion by bringing new perspectives and cultures together.
Through becoming a University of Sanctuary, universities can:
- Demonstrate a clear commitment to supporting equal access to higher education
- Extend the scope of Widening Access and Widening Participation work in a way that explicitly values diversity
- Take clear steps towards creating a university environment that is a welcoming to all, in a way that directly contributes to increasing inclusivity
- Learn how to develop teaching and learning on the themes of migration and sanctuary
- Develop new strands of public-facing outreach and community engagement work that contributes to social responsibility efforts
- Become a part of a dynamic group of universities working to improve the culture of sanctuary in higher education and in society generally
Following accreditation, Universities will be listed as a University of Sanctuary on the University of Sanctuary website and will be able to promote their recognition.